Ibrahimovic returns as Italian FC extends deal

A Swedish professional footballer, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, is back in Italy to sign a contract extension with AC Milan, adding that he intends to “help the club get back to where it deserves to be”, in a video posted on Sunday.

The video, posted on the AC Milan website and entitled “Iz Back”, started with a small plane landing at the city’s Linate airport on Saturday evening and then showed the 39-year-old Swede, who was decked out in club gear, declaring he was delighted to return “to where he feels at home”.

Ibrahimovic has yet to sign the extension but, according to Italian press reports, the star striker and Milan have agreed an extra year’s contract, with an annual salary of 7 million euros (8.33 million dollars).

He rejoined the club last December on a six-month contract from the Los Angeles Galaxy, on a salary of 3.5 million euros with an optional extra year. He scored 11 times in 20 Serie A and Italian Cup matches.

“As I said before, I’m not here to be a mascot, but to bring results, to help the club, the team and the coach get back to where Milan deserves to be,” he said in Italian on the video.

“We’ve done great things in the last six months but we haven’t gained anything. Now I have the chance to be there from the very beginning, we have to keep going and do the same thing,” said the Swede.

The Italian season starts on September 19.

“Ibrahimovic is our priority,” AC Milan technical director Paolo Maldini said last Tuesday, without ruling out a Plan B as negotiations with the Swedish giants dragged on.

“We know it will be a short pre-season, so we want to complete the deal in a very short time.” Maldini added.

AC Milan’s stated aim is to return to the Champions League, a competition the Rossoneri have won seven times but have not played in since 2014. (AFP)

Published By: Admin

CARL UMEGBORO is a legal practitioner (Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria) and human rights activist. He is an associate of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom). He is a prolific writer, social policy and public affairs analyst. Prior to his call to Bar as a lawyer, he had been a veteran journalist and columnist, and has over 250 published articles in various leading national newspapers to his credit. Barrister Umegboro, a litigation counsel is also a regular guest-analyst at many TV and radio programme on crucial national issues. He can be reached through: (+234) 08023184542, (+234) 08173184542 OR Email: umegborocarl@gmail.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *